Here’s a fun list of wine facts that you can roll out at your next party. Check out these five fun facts about Merlot. Did you know…
- Merlot is the most planted variety in Bordeaux.
- Merlot translates to “little blackbird” in an old regional French dialect.
- Cabernet Franc is the father of Merlot, but do you know the mother? It’s a very rare varietal called Magdeleine Noire des Charentes.
- The $5,0000 per bottle Petrus is made almost entirely of Merlot.
- Merlot is second-most planted grape in the entire world. (Cabernet Sauvignon gets the honor of being #1).
We’d love to know: what’s your favorite Merlot fact? Or what’s your favorite Merlot wine?